Sunday, October 23, 2016

Reliquary Piece

While remodeling my daughter's bedroom 15 years ago, I came across a piece of news paper stuffed in the wall.  It read 30 Negros for Sale in Scottsville, VA, 1848 .  As I held the news paper , the realization of what happened became more real. Holding this paper took me back to that terrible time.
Even more Scottsville is where I live now. WOW!  This year as I thought about a new piece I revisited the news paper which I saved. Here is what I created.  A large framed panel, 54 in. x 44 in.
covered in lead. The writing is sandblasted into the lead.  A cross which is 2.5 in deep  and covered in lead, houses the paper surrounded by raw cotton. I used non-glare glass to seal everything air tight. The cross is framed in a gold rope frame of wood.  I really love this piece and dedicate it with love and respect to all those who suffered.              Robert Strini   October, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment